Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Week 1 Invisalign

Now that I'm 5 days in, I thought I'd update with a few first impressions. So far, I am very pleased with how the trays feel. I can't complain at all. I understand that the actual movement of my teeth at this point is minimal (they will kick into gear with attachments and all), but I'm most impressed with how wonderfully the aligners conform to my mouth. When I first inserted the top tray, I noticed that it seemed a little "bulkier", for lack of a better word, on my upper left, back molars. It bothered me when speaking for the first two days, because I'd almost bump those molars with my bottom ones while forming some sounds. The interesting thing is, today, I've noticed it doesn't feel as pronounced. I don't know if that's just because I've become desensitized to it and am speaking around it, or if the trays have softened up, and my teeth are fitting better in them. The real test will be the start of Tray 2. We'll see. Here are a couple of notes about the first few days of Invisalign.

HAPPY:

1. Little to no pain. Most uncomfortable when removing trays (especially bottom teeth, which are more visibly crooked) the first two days of the new trays.

2. No real gum, lip, or mouth irritation.

3. No bad breath or foul smelling retainers yet (I soak in Retainer Brite once every morning during breakfast, and I brush the aligners with an extra soft toothbrush and mild dish soap whenever putting them back into my mouth).

4. No one mentions them or gives me funny looks. A few of my students have given me what I'm calling the "what's with the lisp eye", but I find the lisp fading FAST. Remember, this is only day 5. I've told several people, and they've all been amazed, because they can't see anything...nothing!

5. No problems sleeping. When first waking up, I don't even remember that they're there.

6. Unlike other people, I've had no notable dry mouth. I guess I'm just lucky. I do drink a lot of water as a regular habit, but really...dry mouth has not been a side effect.

NOT EXACTLY ECSTATIC:

1. Brushing/flossing at work and cleaning the trays to get them back in during a 30 minute, high school lunch break (I teach) is not the best. You might laugh, but I made a little "retainer cleaner" by buying a small, refillable spray bottle for my purse. I mixed clear Listerine and water in there. I find the retainer to still be pretty spic and span when I remove it for lunch, since I've brushed & flossed and only had water since putting it in after breakfast. I do a quick teeth brushing after I've eaten and then spray the retainers with the cleaner only. I rinse them well, and they're perfect for the rest of the day. Seems good enough for work, and it saves me from having to brush clean my aligners in the faculty bathroom. Once I'm home, I have some afternoon coffee & a snack, then give both my teeth and trays a more thorough cleaning before putting them back in till dinner. I'm a flossing freak in the morning and before bed.

2. I'm paranoid about losing the aligners. I refuse to set them on paper towel, napkins, etc., so I'm very careful to always put them in their case. I plan to buy extra cases, because keeping one in my purse is handy, one on the kitchen counter, one in my bedroom, office, etc. would be good. I can't see myself accidentally throwing away a retainer case, but I can definitely see my dog, who loves to chew ANYTHING plastic, getting a hold of a paper towel or napkin any day.

That's it! More soon. :)

19 comments:

  1. my older brother have tried this and i want to try it on..i got jealous because he has a great smile and i want to have it also

    invisalign teen pittsburgh

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello, Shannon! It’s pretty cool that you are comfortable with your Invisalign retainers than most people I know. =) Yes, I agree it's not something you'll be ecstatic about, but it's worth all the effort and time you'll put into it. And that includes abstaining from the things you love for a little while. On the other hand, it can make you disciplined and patient. Take care of it. It's there to give you a beautiful smile. :D
    ->Cody Zieba

    ReplyDelete
  3. It must be pretty challenging for you as a teacher to speak in front of your class while wearing Invisalign retainers. It could've affected your speech. But I agree with Cody; it's all worth it! And I must say that your Invisalign experience unleashed the more creative and resourceful you. Anyway, are you still wearing these clear aligners? If yes, hope you'll post about your most recent progress!

    -Clinton Zelman

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really like this! Thank you for sharing this blog related to Invisalign. This method is always best. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing, my dad is going to love your site.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've been seriously considering getting invisalign for my teeth. Growing up, I never had much work done to get my teeth straightened. It didn't really bother me as a kid, but now I can't stop thinking about how nice it'd be to have straight teeth. I just don't want to get stuck with traditional braces.
    Andre | http://carlyleortho.com/invisalign/#

    ReplyDelete
  7. My sister is currently using Invisalign. She really likes it. She never wanted to get braces, so the Invisalign was a great choice for her. I'm excited to see how her teeth end up after the treatment. http://www.blundelldentalclinic.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's impressive that invisalign works so fast. I would have thought that it would take longer than braces to straighten teeth. It's good to know that they have comparable time frames. I'll have to remember that for future reference. http://www.orthodontist.com.au

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Invisalign is actually a greatest option to straighten our teeth.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Being new to the blogging world I feel like there is still so much to learn. Your tips helped to clarify a few things for me as well as giving..
    3D printing companies in Chennai
    3D printing service Chennai
    3D printing service in Chennai

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Unfortunately there are a lot of AIDS/Herpes denials on Herbal cures still out there. I did research on them after I was tested HIV/Herpes positive I was so worried am I going to die soon. I continue my search again on herbal remedy for Std, then I found lots of testimony on how Dr Itua Herbal Medicine Cured HIV/Aids, Herpes Virus,Copd, Hepatitis, Diabetes, On websites sharing their testimonies, which made much more sense to me. All the authors pronounce Dr Itua As a man with Good Heart, I pick interest in their testimonies and I contact him about my situation then he gave me procedure how it works, I proceed after one week he courier his Herbal Medicine to me and instruct me on how to drink it for two weeks to cure. I receive His Herbal Medicine so I drank it for two weeks as I was told then after 2 days I go for a test I found out I was cured from HIV/Aids & Herpes Virus, I pay homage to him 2 months ago to his country to celebrate with him on his African festival which he told me it usually happens every year. I know there are lots of (HIV)/Aids&Herpes Virus denials of Herbal Remedy movement the same few doctors and they represent a very small faction of the community. I could have died because I refused Natural Herbs Cures for so long, but luckily, by the grace of God I am alive to tell my story. Contact Info...Whatsapp Number...+2348149277967,Email...drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com/ info@drituaherbalcenter.com. My Instagram Username...avat5634 Just in case you need someone to talk with. He cure the following diseases below...1. Herpes 2. cancer 3. HIV / AIDS 4. hepatitis 5. Bring my ex back 6. Leprosy 7. SARS 8. Bubonic plague
    9. Cerebrovascular disease 10. Lower respiratory infections 11. Syphilis 12. Influenza A-H1N1 (swine flu) 13.Ischemic heart disease 14. Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease 15. Shingles 16. psoriasis,Perinatal complications 17. diarrhea 18 Autism. 19.. lung cancer.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for posting on your blogspot. It's great to have a guide on your experience with invisalign. Good luck to you, keep posting and have a great rest of your day.
    Dentist Philadelphia

    ReplyDelete